STUDENT MEMBERSHIP INITIATIVE
The Student Membership Initiative Continues
- With a few exceptions by state, only students who are not currently ACDA members may take advantage of this initiative.
- This is a state
sponsored promotion allowing students to pay just $5 for their first year
of student membership in ACDA (states pay $15 and national pays $15).
- In order to take advantage of this offer, students must live in a state that has
opted in to the promotion.
- Participation and leadership opportunities with student
- Online access to Choral Journal, ChorTeach,
and the International Journal for
Research in Choral Singing
- Publishing opportunities in publications ranging
from Choral Journal to state
newsletters and other communications
- Opportunities to attend state, division, and
national ACDA conferences
- Graduate credit and continuing education units
for select national and state conference activities
- ACDA Career Center - the place for choral jobs
- By then end of the calendar year: ACDA Mentoring, a program for connecting
students and conductors at all levels
Additional Student Membership Information
For up to two years following graduation, former students who have
not yet secured a paying choral director position may continue their ACDA student
Student Retention Strategies
Student Chapters. When students participate in a student chapter, it is far more
likely they will have a positive membership experience and they will stay in
ACDA. A list of institutions with student chapters is available in a link from acda.org/singup. That page also includes tools for creating new
chapters and reactivating former chapters.
Permanent Addresses. One of our most common challenges is losing touch with our
students when we only have their temporary address and university-based email. States
can encourage students to include a permanent address and personal email
Student-friendly Resources. There is a Facebook group created and run by ACDA student
members: ACDA/ChoralNet Student Involvement Initiative. There is also a
ChoralNet community entitled ACDA Student Chapters.
Questions? Contact Dr. Amanda Quist,
National Youth and Student R&S Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Sundra Flansburg, ACDA Membership Development Director at email@example.com