Diverse Voices Collaborative Grant
The Composition Initiatives Standing Committee, in partnership with the Diversity Initiatives Standing Committee, invites proposals for the inaugural Diverse Voices Collaborative Grant.
Choirs of all ages, sizes, and varieties (civic, school, church, professional, etc.) are invited to submit a proposal for a commissioning project in partnership with a composer from an underrepresented minority, for the purpose of actively encouraging the creation of new music to benefit both their organization and ACDA. For this first round of grant proposals, we will focus on underrepresented minority groups representing diverse races, ethnicities, and/or genders.
Choirs are invited to submit a proposal with the following information:
- Information about the composer:
- Name, headshot, and short bio (200 words)
- Two representative scores in PDF format (recordings not required, but encouraged) of the composer's recent (within five years) work for chorus
- Information about the desired new commissioned work:
- Performing forces desired (e.g., SATB a cappella, SSA & piano, etc.)
- Desired length of piece
- Statement from the composer outlining the scope of the commission, to include details such as text, theme, ideas, etc.
- Statement from the organization about how the specific project will benefit the organization, community, and ACDA more broadly. Please reference your organization's mission, goals, or values as appropriate.
- A signed letter from both conductor and composer stating that, should they be awarded the Diverse Voices Collaborative Grant, they agree to work together to create a new work, and that the full grant amount will go entirely toward the composer's commission fee.
The initial amount of the Diverse Voices Collaborative Grant will be $2,500. Multiple awards may be granted. Proposals will be judged by an anonymous jury of both conductors and composers.
Winners will be announced on or before April 15, 2019. Awarded organizations and composers will be recognized in Choral Journal
. One year after receipt of the award, organizations will be required to submit a one-page progress report to ACDA detailing the results of their project.
Deadline to apply: December 15, 2018.
Send proposals to: email@example.com.