Brock Competition for Professional Composers
About the Competition
In an effort to further its mission to promote choral music and ensure its future, ACDA established the Raymond W. Brock Competition for Professional Composers. The Competition for Professional Composers is an outgrowth of the Raymond W. Brock Memorial Choral Commission. The objectives of the contest are three-fold:
- To acknowledge and reward outstanding composers in early, mid, or late career
- To encourage choral composition of the highest caliber
- To further promote composer activity at ACDA conferences
Composers do not need to be members of ACDA to apply, but applicants must be residents of the United States or U.S. Territories. There is no age limit for applicants. Composers must not be current students (undergraduate or graduate) at the time of the conference performance. Submitted works must not be published, but may have been previously performed or premiered. (Works published through a self-publishing platform will be accepted.) Composers may submit one work per competition year. All voicings and difficulty levels will be considered. Works may be unaccompanied or accompanied, and may include additional instrumentation. (Due to performance constraints, works with full orchestra or similar forces will likely not be viable.) Due to performance time constraints, works between three and eight minutes in length will receive priority consideration. Composers who have received the Brock commission in the past are not eligible to apply.
The winner of the composition contest will be awarded a $1,000 cash prize, a complimentary one-year ACDA membership if they are not already a member, $500 for travel and hotel accommodations for the next national ACDA conference, a complimentary conference registration, a complimentary table at the conference composers’ fair, and a performance of the winning work on the main stage by a choral ensemble selected by the conference committee.
- Print and fill out the application form to be sent in with your submission. (Download here)
- Mail four copies of your score with the composer name removed along with the following:
- Text (with written permission from copyright holder, if applicable)
- Translation (if not English)
- Recording on CD (if available – not required – only one CD is needed)
- Mail to:
American Choral Directors Association
Deadline: The next competition will be open in summer 2020.
RE: Brock Competition for Professional Composers
545 Couch Drive
Oklahoma City, OK 73102
2018 - In the Middle by Dale Trumbore
Performed by the Aeolians of Oakwood University at the 2019 ACDA National Conference.