2018 Symposium on Research in Choral Singing
The American Choral Directors Association Presents
The 2018 Symposium on Research in Choral Singing
Bienen School of Music
Time & Date
Begin: 1:00 PM, Friday, September 14, 2018
End: 6:00 PM, Saturday, September 15, 2018
About the Symposium
The symposium will combine diverse presentational formats with opportunities for in-depth conversation, inquiry, and consideration of future research directions. Join us for two days focused on advancing knowledge and practice with respect to choral singing, choir sound, choral pedagogy, the sociology of choral singing, and more. Scroll down to view the Call for Proposals.
Cost & Registration
The registration fee for the Symposium will be $85, plus a processing fee. The registration portal and other information will be posted here in Spring 2018.
Hotel information for the Symposium will be posted in this space in Spring 2018.
Call for Proposals
The intent of the symposium is aligned with the purpose of the International Journal of Research in Choral Singing: to advance knowledge and practice with respect to choral singing, choir sound, choral pedagogy, and related areas such as equity and inclusion in choral singing, school community partnerships, adolescent development, vocal development, and singing and well-being. Like the IJRCS, the symposium program committee welcomes proposals that reflect well-executed research employing quantitative, qualitative, historical, or philosophical methodologies. Proposals for both research presentations and research posters are welcomed.
Proposals must comply with the following guidelines:
- Written accounts of the research to be presented may have been submitted for publication at the time of application to the symposium, but the research may not be in print or in press at that time.
- Research presented at other conferences will be considered only if the audience was substantially different. A statement specifying the particulars of presentation must be included with the submission.
- In-progress research is permissible for submission to the symposium so long as preliminary data and findings can be discussed and the author plans to have completed the project by the symposium. Prospective research projects are not suitable for this particular symposium.
- Proposal submission implies intent to register for and present at the symposium if accepted.
- The following items are required for submission:
- PDF #1: Cover page with author’s name, institutional affiliation, contact information (including email address), and ACDA membership number.
- PDF #2: A) The title of the presentation, B) Desired format: paper presentation, poster presentation, or either; C) Abstract of 400 words or less summarizing the research to be presented.
- Proposal Deadline: Monday, April 18, 2018 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time.
- Send proposals via email to Patrick K. Freer at firstname.lastname@example.org
- All submissions will be blinded before review by the symposium program committee.
- Applicants will be notiﬁed of the status of their submission via email on or before May 15, 2018.