Outstanding Student Chapter Award
Ithaca College (Janet Galvan, faculty advisor) was recently named 2019 Outstanding Student Chapter. The Outstanding Student Chapter Award was established by the American Choral Directors Association in 1978 as a means for recognizing an ACDA student chapter which, through its activities, best supports the advancement of choral music. The award is given every two years at the time of ACDA’s national conference, and nominations are received from around the country. In announcing the award, Dr. David Edmonds, ACDA’s National R&R Chair for Student Activities, stated that Ithaca “continues a strong tradition of musical leadership and innovation and serves as a model of what student chapters can bring to our profession—they are truly doing outstanding work.”
This year, the award committee also recognized the student chapter at Texas State University (TSU) with an honorable mention. In announcing this honor, Edmonds noted “The TSU ACDA students have created some incredible momentum and their chapter was well-deserving of this new recognition.” Learn more
Active ACDA Student Chapters
Here is the list of active student chapters (current as of January 2019).
Welcome to our new and newly reactivated ACDA Student Chapters!
- Appalachian State University (Meg Stohlmann, advisor)
- Cantabile Youth Singers of Silicon Valley (Elena Sharkova, advisor)
- Central Connecticut State University (Sarah Bowe, advisor)
- Plymouth State University (Daniel Perkins, advisor)
- Southeast Missouri State University (Barbara Lamont, advisor)
- University of Hawaii (Jace Saplan, advisor)
- University of New Hampshire (Alex Favazza, advisor)
- University of Utah (Emily Mercado, advisor)
- Washington & Lee University (Morgan Luttig, advisor)
Keep Your Chapter Active! Submit Your Annual Report by May 15
The ACDA Student Chapter annual report form is due every year, and is short and sweet! Your report keeps your chapter on the active list for the following school year, and keeps us informed of current chapter leadership and activities. Annual Report found here.
Share News about Your Chapter!
ACDA's Choral Journal
regularly includes Student Chapter updates. Email news updates and photos to Trina Kopacka
, ACDA's membership & communications coordinator. Updates should be 250 words or fewer and include the name and email address for the person we should contact if there are questions on the information. Also include the name of your college or university, and the state in which you are located. Preference is given to submissions that are interesting, creative, and relevant to other student chapters and the wider ACDA membership.
Be a Part of ACDA's Instagram (@acda_nation) Highlights - #Noted
ACDA wants to highlight your success. Please send in pictures of your group to the Trina Kopacka
, so as to be featured on the ACDA Instagram.
Start or Reactivate a Student Chapter
Founding a Student Chapter
We offer you a variety of resources and suggestions:
If you want to establish a brand new student chapter, once you lay the groundwork on campus, please submit (1) a completed application form and (2) a copy of your student chapter constitution. We require that your chapter advisor be a current ACDA member, as well as your student chapter president. Of course, we encourage all of the student chapter members be ACDA members, and in participating states, that may only be $5 for your first year (learn more about the Student Membership Initiative
Reactivating an Inactive Student Chapter
For schools that once had a chapter, just submit a Reactivation Form
Please contact Trina Kopacka, membership & communications coordinator
. Student chapter forms can also be emailed or mailed to her (American Choral Directors Association, 545 Couch Dr., Oklahoma City, OK 73102-2207)
Ideas for Activities
ACDA student chapters have a brand-new opportunity this year! ChorTransform
is structured around the tenets of service learning, and takes students out of their usual settings into underserved choral programs and populations. More here
National Standards for Student Chapters
Successful collegiate ACDA chapters
- Encourage and stimulate student membership and involvement in ACDA at the state, division, and national levels.
- Promote and recognize the involvement of ACDA student chapters on college campuses.
- Sponsor activities and sessions at the local level that engage the training and experience of student choral musicians.
- Encourage student attendance and involvement at ACDA division and national conferences through scholarship projects.
ACDA student activities include
- Student symposia and workshops
- Conducting master classes
- Reading sessions
- Sponsorship of activities and sessions at ACDA conferences that directly relate to the training and experience of student choral musicians