ACDA has undertaken a substantial review process of our Constitution and Bylaws. This page has been created to provide transparency and access to the review process so that membership can remain informed and engaged.
Constitution and Bylaws approved November 15, 2023
Why do the Constitution and Bylaws matter?
These documents tell us who we are, why we exist, and how to do our work as an organization. The Constitution and Bylaws are the governing documents of ACDA. The Constitution establishes the purpose of the organization and contains the fundamental principles that guide the organization. The Bylaws establish the specific rules by which the organization functions.
Who decides if ACDA makes these revisions?
YOU! Ultimately, a vote of the membership determines the Constitution and Bylaws revisions.
What was the review process for the new revisions adopted in November 2023?
The review process took place in multiple steps that culminated in a complete review of the Constitution and Bylaws. The process was designed to ensure rigorous review and incorporate the opportunity for members to weigh in on the direction early in the review process.
The review process started with a request for recommendations and revisions from the national standing committees, national R & R committees, and region presidents to be submitted to the National Bylaws Task Force. The feedback that was received was so robust and thoughtful that a new review process needed to be designed to ensure that sufficient time could be dedicated to honor the input received and to be thorough in the reviews and recommendations.
Instead of just one review cycle, the task force divided up the articles of the Constitution and Bylaws into four separate rounds. Each round went through the process outlined below:
- The task force reviewed, recommended, and incorporated feedback received.
- Then, the Executive Committee reviewed the work of the task force and made additional revisions.
- Then, the National Board of ACDA reviewed all prior work, made additional revisions, and ultimately determined when the work was ready for the open comments period.
- From that point, the sections were provided to membership in an open comments format to allow for review and feedback on the current progress. Notice for open comments happened via social media and the weekly Wednesday email updates.
- Then, the task force reviewed the feedback received during the open comments period and made additional revisions before passing the finalized sections to the Executive Committee for final review.
- Then, the National Board reviewed the final submission and voted to approve. If approved, the articles are set aside until the entire Constitution and Bylaws was reviewed under this process.
- Finally, after all four rounds had been through this cycle, the revisions to the Constitution and Bylaws will be submitted to the membership for vote in November 2023.
Who were the task force members?
Edith Copley, ACDA Vice-President, Co-Chair
Lynne Gackle, ACDA Past President, Co-Chair
Peggy Dettwiler, Past President, ACDA Eastern Region
Mariana Farah, Past President-elect, ACDA Southwestern Region
Vincent Oakes, Past President, ACDA Southern Region
Timothy Westerhaus, Past President, ACDA Northwestern Region
Robyn Hilger, ACDA Executive Director