The Outstanding Student Chapter Award was established by the American Choral Directors Association in 1978 as a means for recognizing an ACDA student chapter which, through its activities, best supports the advancement of choral music. The award consists of a plaque that becomes the permanent property of the winning chapter and two awards: $250 to the student chapter and a complimentary 2021 national conference registration for an officer or designated representative of the chapter to attend the national conference and receive the award for the chapter.
Anyone may nominate an ACDA student chapter for this honor. Incomplete nominations will not be considered. Please include the following documentation:
- A description of chapter activities for the last two years which relates to the criteria below.
- Other supporting materials such as programs, newsletters, articles, etc.
- Letters of support for the nomination from the administrative chair and the chapter adviser.
- The number of chapter members and the total number of music majors within your department or school of music.
A committee of choral professionals are looking for the following criteria to determine the recipient of the Outstanding Student Chapter Award (not necessarily in order of importance):
- Level of impact on the professional development of its chapter members.
- Level of impact on the local/state/regional choral community in which the chapter resides.
- Innovative and engaging offerings presented by the chapter.
All materials must be sent electronically using the ACDA Student Chapter Award Application Form. All files must be uploaded there as well. Please be mindful of the file upload limitations. Questions may be directed to Dr. David Edmonds, ACDA National R&R Chair for Student Activities, by email. Materials must be received by January 15, 2021, at midnight CT.
Dr. David Edmonds
University of New Mexico
Department of Music
Previous Winners of the Outstanding Student Chapter
Ithaca College chapter, Janet Galvan, advisor.